Sunday, July 3, 2011

What's Cooking? - Ramen Cole Slaw

I haven't had this in years. I absolutely love it, but so much sodium. I might just make it some day and eat a little bit and leave the rest for the family scavengers.

It was fun looking through my moms old recipe books. Three - Three ring binders full. She typed or copied all of the recipes and put them in plastic sleeves. Some recipes were mine. Made me proud that she liked a few of mine too.

The fun part was that Mom was dyslexic. Even more than I am. Recipes included ingredients like motzerella, jalpeona, and crotons and there were several recipes that called for port as the main meat. Guess she had a problem typing pork.

This is how we made the Chinese Ramen Cole slaw that was popular in the early 90's

Salad

1 large bag Cole Slaw mix
2 individual packages Beef Ramen Soup
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup shelled sunflower seeds
2 bunches scallions chopped

Dressing

1/3 cup sunflower or safflower oil
2/3 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
The 2 seasoning packages from the Ramen Soup

Mix all salad ingredients, leaving noodles till last. Mix all dressing ingredients well and pour over salad. Mix salad and dressing well. Break up noodle block and place over salad. Refrigerate. Toss noodles with salad about on hour before serving so they don't get too soggy, but have time to soften.

Trust me if you haven't had this yet, and you like Chinese food and cabbage, you'll be thanking me.

2 comments:

Pili said...

Sounds good, and a good idea for a picnic too!

Four Corners USA OnLine said...

I'll have to try this! Had a similar version and LOVED it, but it called for sautéing the noodles in a little butter and well, this is easier!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...