Friday, June 22, 2012

Best Garden Ever

One would think that with as little space as I have to work with, I might do better with my garden. Someone keeps threatening to move. Not until after harvest PLEASE, because I finally got things to produce in this lousy piece of soil.

Just look at the lush green. OK, so maybe the turnip and radishes have a few holes in the leaves, but mostly it's perfection. I've actually eaten some of the onion green, some radishes and a tiny pepper that had a dead spot on it. I cut the bad part off and removed it to not affect the whole plant. I think it was from the scorching hot sun the past few days.

Not that the garden is perfect, something ate my cucumbers, and my lettuce and carrots. The rows between the turnips, radishes and beans are a bit wider than planned. And OMG the tomatoes are so much bigger than I had imagined they would get. I am so eager to pick those puppies.

See my little row of herbs. Some are in pots, but most of them are in collars sunk into the ground to keep them from spreading. In front of the basil (out of view) is oregano, parsley, and a pathetic globe basil that I will never try again. The cilantro grew from last years seed I replanted in the pot. It's fabulous. The mint is growing like mad.  I "borrowed" some from the gardens down at the lake. This is the second year for the oregano too.

I decided to do this with the herbs after my DD's MIL kept weeding them out of our front beds. She apparently can't recognize leaf shapes, or the smell of herbs on her hands.

The line around the garden, isn't really a fence, it's more of a trip wire. Actually it's a line of demarcation, in hopes that the same family won't mow over the plants, or put the lawn furniture on them when they mow. So not kidding about that one. You should have heard me scream when I found our wagon on my budding onion sprouts. 


The overall view of the garden. The buckets in front are full of potatoes. When they are ready, you just dump them over and voila, No digging. Behind the potatoes are in order, onions, beans, radishes, turnips, tomatoes, patty pan squash and in pots at the back, green and jalapeno peppers.


 A row of corn runs down the side and there'a a huge squash type plant I didn't seed, at the back of the garden. I think it might have been Halloween pumpkin compost overflow. We'll see when it starts to produce. 
Oh how I hope that I can keep the garden this lush and harvest more than a few green tomatoes this year. The corn is fast growing, but I don't have much time to get it knee high by the Fourth of July. I plan on it being a fence to keep unwanted visitors out. 




As for the tomatoes. Here is a sweet baby, just waiting to grow and be enjoyed. isn't he a cutie?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

you rock! How do you keep the animals from gobbling up this delicious garden? I love the "I didn't Plant this..."

I found you on twitter because I just tweeted about how my garden looks like jurasic park.. @imbuffi

-Buffi
My Wonderfully Dysfunctional Blog

#gardenchat said...

love your shares on twitter ... your blog is rocking it! See you at the next Monday #gardenchat

Shadow Dog Designs said...

What a lush looking garden - lucky you! Love the idea for planting potatoes - grow and dump! Thanks for sharing. Happy weekend!

Pesky Cat Designs said...

I am so impressed! I've been wanting a little garden but where I live now there is no room. All I have is basil growing right now so I always have a handful for when I make red sauce. Congrats on cultivating such a wonderful garden.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...