Sunday, July 8, 2012

Life on Mars - Gardening Bliss

Even though the climate was like that of the Angry Red Planet this week (in more ways than one) I'm just so thrilled at the outcome of my garden this week that I can forgive all.

I've been quiet this past week. I lost a loved one and am adjusting. Things in my home are a bit unstable and I'm adjusting. I've taken to walking to calm myself when I'm frustrated and I think I should have done that years ago. When I feel like I'm about to boil over, I just take a walk. Why didn't I think of that before. I have quite a temper, I would have been really fit.

Back in the garden....this week I was able to pick several handfuls of beans. I didn't plant a lot, so I didn't expect much and did get more than I hoped for. They are still producing. I picked through the turnips and found one great 2 1/2" diameter one. I hope the rest grow that big. The leaves are getting a bit lacy from the leaf eating critters though.

I love that the  bugs don't eat tomato plants, and I rotate the tomatoes so the tomato worms don't find them. Did you know that's how to keep them away? Never plant your tomatoes in the same place from year to year. Also, beans add nitrogen to the soil, so they beef up the soil for other plants.

Native Americans planted corn, pumpkin and beans together, to make a sort of symbiotic plant system. The pumpkins shield the ground (cooling and keeping weed free). The corn makes a pole for the beans to climb, and the beans add nutrients to the soil. Brilliant.

I really wanted to talk about my flowers today. Some of my favorites and my inspiration for my jewelry. Last year the yard was pretty bare so we got a few clearance rose bushes and I borrowed some Shasta Daisy roots from the lake.

I also dug up some Day Lilies that were behind the house in the shade and brought them into the light. The soil was so good that they all flourished far better than I expected.

And then there is the roses. There are three bushes, all doing well, but the biggest surprise was the climbing bush. The flowers looked pale pink at first and not attractive, but since planting have turned into a vibrant deep magenta. I'm really liking them now.

My own flowers are not so literal. They are just impressions of these beauties that I love so much. You can find all of my flowers at akacinders.com or on Artfire at http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/akaCINDERS


2 comments:

Pili said...

Yay for successful veggie growing and lovely flowers!

And it's also good to hear you've found a way to let off steam that will help you in more ways than one!

Maiden Jane said...

I'm sorry about your loss.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...