Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Six Weeks - In Recovery

I was reading an old post about my old neighbors who were getting hauled away by ambulances on a regular basis. I realized that things are different in my new house, now I'm the one being hauled away, well, just once since I've been here. Actually I heard that the police came and took away one of them right before I got hauled off to the hospital. Mine was for a broken ankle, the old neighbor usually went by way of ambulance for a suspected kidney infection. Once I asked her what her symptoms were. She said she had blood in her urine. I asked her if she had recently eaten beets, she said, yes, why? I knew she liked beets.

Not that it's uneventful here, just a different kind of event. Not quite as loud, and the loud exploding noises aren't guns or meth lab explosions, they are usually fireworks at the local sporting events. I am right around a dangerous curve with lots of flashing cautions lights that people often choose to ignore and speed by. They usually either get pulled over by the police or crash into the guardrail in front of my neighbor's house. there are always flashing red lights in the street near the end of my drive.

Back to the original point. it's been 6 weeks since the ambulance was here to take me away. Six weeks since I broke my ankle. Last Thursday I got my cast taken off, and instead of a new one, I got a walking boot. Not allowed to walk in it yet, but at least I can sleep without it and I get to exercise. Bad sprain immobilized for 5 weeks is going to take some time to get back to working condition. My foot pretty much looks like a limp swollen piece of meat, but my ankle is healing nicely. AND I can wash that leg in the shower too. It is very happy about that.

This is my fancy boot. I like it. I call it Roboboot cause it looks like a kick ass robot leg. I need to sew up a matching faux cover for my other leg and sneaker. But it's not as impressive rolling around in the wheelchair I've taken too.

Oh I can walk in the walker now, but it takes so darn long to get around. I find it much faster to use the chair. I have too much to do and everything takes so darn long, I can't waste more time. I'm up on my other leg plenty enough to keep it strong and in good shape. I just fly from room to room in the wheel chair.

I go back to the Dr next week. I really hope I finally get to walk again. I have a feeling it will not be as fun as I hope. I think I will be very tired, and still use the chair a lot to get around, but at least I can take a trip to the mailbox every day, to get my own mail. That is as long as there's no snow or ice on the driveway.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When will you take the walking boot off?Hope you feel better and dont have any pain.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...