Sunday, August 26, 2012

Worth Repeating - Zucchini Pickles


I posted this recipe originally in July of 2011. This week, I've been hitting the jars of pickles I made last month and I thought I'd like to temp you again. They are remarkably crisp and just the perfect combination of sweet, sour and a touch of hot. I make mine with the hot peppers. If you have an abundance of zucchini, and have run out of freezer room for bread, or can't get the extra's to me, you might want to try this great recipe.

You can also find the original recipe in my recipe pull down, along with other great recipes.


Zucchini Pickles                                

9 qt thinly sliced zucchini
10 small onions sliced
6 ½ c sugar
6 c cider vinegar
¼ c pickling spice in cheesecloth
6 T salt

Optional 4 or 5 hot peppers halved seeded and sliced

In a large bowl or non aluminum kettle, sprinkle salt over all vegetables. Let stand for 4 hours. This will draw out excess moisture. Put into colander and drain.

Combine vinegar and sugar in a large kettle, add spices. Stir over high heat, cover and boil for 5 minutes. Add vegetables and bring to boil. Boil one minute. Remove spices.

Place in hot clean jars, apply lids according to manufacturers instructions. Process for 10 minutes with water one inch above tops of jars. Cool completely. Check seals the next day. Makes 5 quarts.

These sweet Zucchini pickles are absolutely wonderful on top of a slice of cheddar on a Ritz.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...