Monday, April 29, 2013

Etsy Integrity Inquisition - Ha Ha funny if you've had your Etsy shop closed

It's been quite some time since my daughter and I had our Etsy shops closed. We are doing very well now, no thanks to the site we promoted and loved who dumped us without so much as a chance to protest.

Ebay has learned that sometimes the hand that feeds you also bites back, as many sellers have sued them for similar practices. I'm sure this will happen to Etsy eventually.

Since my original post, I have met many crafters who have had their shops closed by Etsy. People like my daughter and me, who have invested a lot of time and money in their business, only to have the mustachioed "rug" pulled out from beneath them.

As I always recommend. Please don't set yourself up to fail. Etsy is a great place to sell if you can #1 compete with the resellers #2 keep your mouth shut publicly about their evil practices #3 protect yourself by linking your shop to your own website and sending out business cards with that website address only, with orders. That way you can link to a new site IF Etsy shuts your shop down.

I thought you all might like this entertaining parody of Etsy discriminatory practices. Really, it's funny (not if you've had your shop closed though)



3 comments:

M Dawson said...

This is an eye opener. I have not been selling much on Etsy because I was concerned about their focus on 'magazine lifestyle' colours and approach - at the expense of grassroots handmade. They seem to be intent of one (highly monied) segment of the market - the readers of Vogue style Home and Garden magazines.

How sad that the organisation I joined as the perfect, friendly, online venue, so long ago, appears to have transformed into something so out of touch with its loyal sellers.

Nathalie said...

What I hate the most is how the victims end up looking suspicious. Like everybody thinks, "yeah they obviously did something wrong and they're not going to admit it".

Ming and Ingrid said...

Yep, that's true, you totally loose your reputation but most folks on Etsy who haven't been exposed to this are 100% convinced that shops that got shut down or put under review is because they deserve it. Here, our Etsy story got featured in the Daily Dot: http://www.dailydot.com/business/etsy-jewelry-sellers-guidelines-mits/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...