Thursday, July 24, 2014

Peanut Butter Almond Butter Frozen Fudge Cups

It started with a curiosity about a fascination with coconut oil and how I could get it into my diet. I tried cooking in it, but everything I fried with it was just nasty. Coconut oil is a strange thing. It only stays liquid at a higher temp, so salad dressing is hard to do because it's thick at room temperature.

Searching through pinterest I found a link to this recipe for Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge which was very yummy, but too peanutty for my taste. I'm including the recipe for the original version and my version. I thought if I added a little almond butter, it would be a bit milder, but maybe even a little healthier. I also wanted the sweetener to be a bit richer, so I've added a bit of molasses. I love molasses so much I could sit and eat a whole jar, but that's another story. 

Here are the ingredients for each followed by my method for preparing.


Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge


  • 1/2 cup coconut oil 
  • 1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder 
  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter 
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract 

Healthy Peanut Butter Almond Butter Fudge


  • 1/2 cup coconut oil 
  • 1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder 
  • 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup natural almond butter 
  • 1 T molasses
  • 1/4 cup - 1T  honey
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract 
I put all of the ingredients in a 2 cup measure and whisk them all together with my smallest whisk. That way it is all ready to pour. Then I pour into my cups. You can use candy molds, cupcake molds or even ice cube trays. this recipe fills an ice cube tray just about perfectly, or about 10 cupcake papers partway filled. 

I started with silicone cupcake molds, but found them too much of a pain to clean, so now I use a silicone candy mold. When it is in the mold place in freezer. Because these melt easily, they have to be kept in the freezer. Pop out when solid and keep in the freezer in a container. They do melt in your hands.

The mold I used is this Wilton Daisy Mold that I found at Walmart. I think if filled to the top it would hold a double batch. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...