Wednesday, August 24, 2011

EARTHQUAKE

For those of you who never experienced an earthquake. I've been through a few. Sometimes you can hardly feel them unless you are in a rocking building.

My first experience was a dud. I was on a floating platform over floor built on solid ground. All the people around me were saying "What's that? What's happening?" I didn't feel a thing.

The next time I was in Atlanta Georgia. In the middle of the night, I awoke to rumbling and shaking. I was really annoyed that I was so close to the elevators and people were using them like that, in the early morning. When I woke up for the day, I found out it was a very rare earthquake.

Yesterday was the most unusual for me. I was sitting a the computer. Everyone was outside of the house, except for Poppy's oldest who got up early to prepare for school and fell back asleep. All of a sudden my chair started rolling and the table and monitor were rocking. Now this is a tiny cottage and not on a very stable foundation, so my first thought was that the foundation was crumbling and the house was going to tumble down the hill. But as it continued to rock back and forth. I started to think Earthquake.

I was yelling, "What the Hell was that?" over and over. Getting kind of sick to my stomach. I finally got up and stood at the door, and yelled out  "What the Hell was that?". The open door was rocking back and forth too. Poppy finally came in when it was all over, and when I told her what happened, she looked at me like I was crazy. We didn't know that there had been a huge earthquake yet.

She left with her boys and hubby to get the last of the school supplies and then I heard on the news about the earthquake. Wow, epicenter in Virginia and we felt it all the way over in Northeast Ohio. Well all I have to say is that was exciting!

2 comments:

Pili said...

I've felt two earthquakes, both very minor, one here in Spain, and one in India... and at the time I was wondering if I was just feeling dizzy or what the hell was going on...

Catherine Ivins said...

this was my first earthquake ever in NJ - I was sitting at my computer too and also felt nauseous and could feel through my feet that the floor was moving - felt like giant hands shaking my house - some of my neighbors barely felt it - I think it just shows how badly my house is put together that it was so strong here ....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...