Sunday, August 28, 2011

What's Cooking - Chocolate Syrup

We ran out of Syrup a few weeks ago, no car and I thought...I can make this. So I found several recipes online and took what I thought was the easiest. They all have about the same ingredients, but different order of assembly. This is how I made mine. Delicious, easy, tastier than store bought, and most importantly cheap. I've been making a bottle a week, because we use on ice cream and in coffee. You know all those healthy antioxidants.

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
pinch salt

I don't use a lot of salt, so a touch works. Put water, sugar and cocoa in a good sized saucepan. You need to boil this and it really bubbles up. First time I put in in a small saucepan and had a chocolate stove. I whisk the ingredients while cool and keep whisking through the process. Bring to a rolling boil and let boil for 3 minutes.
Take off heat and whisk in salt and vanilla. Let cool.

After the sauce is cool I pour into the old chocolate squeeze bottle. Or you can put it in a jar. This version must be refrigerated, because we didn't add preservatives (cool) and it will probably turn to chocolate liquor if you let it sit out too long.

I also wanted to add this awesome video I found today. Poppy is making a Nyan Cat costume, and her 8 year old and I were looking at Nyan Cat videos. I thought this one, laughable, fit the yummy chocolate munchie theme.




A little early in the day for Weed, but never too early for chocolate Syrup. Have a Great day and Enjoy!


5 comments:

Judy said...

I am going to try your chocolate syrup today! Thanks

Pili said...

Oh my, a chocolate syrup recipe... now that I must try... or try to stay away!

LazyTcrochet said...

LOL munchies! My mom used to make chocolate syrup for ice cream all the time. I like to add peanut butter sometimes too : )

Pesky Cat Designs said...

Never thought to put chocolate syrup in coffee. Now I must try it!

NauticalWheeler said...

i like the idea of making it at home instead of buying it off the shelf! thanks for sharing :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...