Friday, December 30, 2011

Putting it Together - Website

I am so excited about my new website and HOW EASY it was to build, I had to share with you again. The last time I mentioned that I was working on a Website (here) it looked a little different. I wasn't so happy with the design so I worked on a different design template. It was soooo easy.

Here is my plan. I want this website to support my Artfire shop, and be a place where I can offer wholesale options to Brick and Mortar shops. I also want to offer, high end, unique designs on my Web Site. Take a look at how it's developing akacinders.com.

Also I didn't have my own domain, well I got a cheap one at GoDaddy.com and it was so darn easy to set up and for the first year only about $9 with tax. Look for a discount. Maybe at my favorite spot for that, retailmenot.com. I just followed the instructions for adding my domain from GoGaddy to Weebly, couldn't be easier.

Now I tried the website tonight at GoDaddy and I had the account for a year without ever being able to set it up.   I just love the Weebly ease of use. Look at this. You pick a template for your page and work with that. The toughest thing to do is make any graphics you might want. Maybe just a banner, like your Etsy or Artfire one. Now, grab the feature you want and pull it onto your page and edit. It's a SNAP.

I wasn't sure about making a shop either, but that is sooo easy too. If you have PayPal or Google Checkout, Weebly is set up to work with that. All you have to do is authorize it. I made a shop, but it is not visible, because I really want to have web only items for sale, and I'm still working on those. Click on the picture to go to my hidden shopping page if you want to explore on your own. I will be revising this one.

I f you've been thinking about a Web Site, like I was, but were afraid to try I can't begin to tell you how easy it is. Weebly has a Free site option or a Pro for about $60 a year. You can have 10 websites on your pro account. That doesn't include the domain (website name) but there are several places to buy that. There are a lot of options, but they are clearly explained on Weebly. You can use my link for a free month of pro (here) or just go to weebly.com.

Hard to tell from a blog, but I'm really excited about this. I just wanted to share my pure delight at how easy this was to set up. Don't get me wrong, it does take some time. Each picture is linked to my artfire shop and I had to go back and forth between sites and upload all the images. It takes time, but if you can list on Etsy or Artfire, or worse yet, eBay, you have got it made! OH, and PS, don't forget to add your metatags in advanced settings.

7 comments:

Pili said...

Yay for a easy and not horribly mindblowing experience to build a website!

I'm gonna keep this in the back burner in case I ever decide to build a webpage for my photography!

Janice said...

I have the weebly with the ecommerce. It is truely easy - I use startlogic for my web host and they give me real time support when I need it but I am very happy with weebly. It's easy to create and edit.

I had problems at the beginning (couldn't see it) but all I had to do was switch to foxfire browser (which I like better anyway) and that solved it.

Maiden Jane said...

I'm excited about this process and glad we are learning together! (Or, should I say, I'm learning from you!(

vintage eye said...

Crusty!! Your site is so cool! You are my hero! :)

Unknown said...

Ooooooo! This sounds so promising! I still feel intimidated even though you say how easy it is....I'll definitely have to look into it! Thanks, Cinders!

Gilded Owl Musings said...

Thanks for this. I've been thinking about making an ecommerce one. The only think I don't like is GoDaddy.
"Internet goes after GoDaddy over SOPA Support" http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398005,00.asp

akaCINDERS said...

GoDaddy has now pulled it's support of SOPA and is working toward a rewrite of the law,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...