Sunday, May 6, 2012

What's Cooking - Meatless Breakfast Sausage

So I've been trying and trying to find a way to get oatmeal in me and not gag on the sweetness of it. It's not that I totally hate sweet, but for breakfast, yuck. I mean I hate cake (yes really) but I like jelly beans and chocolate (OK dark chocolate) but oatmeal for breakfast? Gag!

So I've been trying different ways to make sausage - like my Turkey Sausage. Good, but I think I can still get rid of the meat. I'm trying to cut out wheat too, so I had to think of a good additive. Grits are good. They make a nice thick polenta and cornmeal mush. So I tried grits and I think I have the recipe. I use an egg in this, so it's not vegan, but I think you could easily use egg substitute or they might just stick together without the egg. I'm not trying, but feel free to try yourself.

I cooked the grits and the oatmeal with 1c grits / oatmeal to just a little over 1c water to get them thick and dry. I found it easier to do in the microwave, but you decide, try stovetop in a pot. This was my last attempt. It was a bit spicy, you might want to reduce the cayenne to half, and I love garlic so I might have added another teaspoon.

Oatmeal is not only healthy, but cayenne, turmeric, and garlic are three of the best spices you can put in your body. The turmeric also makes it a nice golden color.


Meatless Breakfast Sausage

2 C dry cooked grits
2 C dry cooked oatmeal
1 egg
2 T poultry seasoning (or just sage)
1 T turmeric
2 t garlic
1t cayenne
oil to fry - I like a soy oil for this


Cool the grits and oats. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. I did this by hand, because it's pretty thick and sticky. Heat just a bit of oil in a large frying pan. make a ball about 1 1/2" diameter and flatten to a small patty. Drop in pan, saute until brown, flip and do the other side. I got about 10 in my pan at a time.

This makes between 20 and 25 patties. They freeze really well and I just reheat in a pan or microwave.



1 comment:

Pili said...

This sounds great! I think you could also use tofu to stick it together to substitute for the egg to make it vegan...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...