Sunday, September 16, 2012

What's Cooking - Green Tomato Pickles

Sadly I have an abundance of Green Tomatoes and also an abundance of insects that are hungry for the tomatoes as soon as the start to ripen. Vines are starting to waste away too. So yesterday I want out and reaped all the green tomatoes of decent size. Just not anything under 1 1/2" diameter.

The larger tomatoes, I will use to make fried green tomatoes, the smaller ones I quartered and made green tomato pickles. These are a little different than cucumber pickles, because the only seasoning I use is Garlic, lots of Garlic! Give these a try and enjoy.

GREEN TOMATO PICKLES

quart canning jars
white sugar
salt
whole garlic cloves
cider vinegar
boiling water

Quarter the green tomatoes, they should be about 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" in diameter. Each jar should have 3 peeled garlic cloves. I put one on the bottom, one in the middle and one on the top. Fill jars tightly with tomatoes, leaving about 1" headroom. Make sure to tap them on the counter to get as many as you can into each jar.

When the jars are full, add one tablespoon sugar, one tablespoon salt, and 1/2 cup of vinegar (don't forget the garlic). Add the boiling water slowly to just cover the tomatoes, there should be 3/4" headroom left. put on canning lids and do a boiling water bath. I process for 15 minutes, because these are firm and can take it. You can do 10 minutes.

I know it will be tempting to try, but these do better if they sit for at least 3 days. I've tried it, and they just don't absorb enough of the garlic for a few days.


2 comments:

Pili said...

Always interesting, I had no idea you could make tomato pickles, green ones at it!

vintage eye said...

You have the best ideas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...