Friday, January 11, 2013

Wanting to Build a Recycled Home

I sell jewelry and accessories online. I used to be a lighting designer. I never wanted to design lighting, it was just a career move that landed in my lap. I was good at it.

Recently, relative asked me what I really want to do. This is where my heart is. This is what I want to do. I want to build myself a house out of recycled and reclaimed materials. There is a wonderful article about a man named Dan Phillips at nytimes.com and the beautiful low income housing he makes out of reclaimed materials. This is what I want to do. I want to make a tiny house out of reclaimed materials with my own two hands.

I really love what Mr Phillips has done. His homes are creative and, like habitat for humanity, you have to work with him to build your own house.

I like it so much that I would love to do what he did. I would love to make my own house, and then help others build theirs. But I live in Northeastern Ohio, not Texas. The rules are a bit different there. The best thing to do is start with my own home. Because land is hard to find and city regulations vary, I know that I can't even build with a sustainable waste removal system in my current county (composting toilet) which is what I would like to do. I either have to fight the system here or find a more progressive county. lol

I suppose the best place to start is to locate some like minded builders in my area. I think when I get a retirement income that I can be assured that I will have food and shelter while I get started, I might just look into it. If anyone in the Cleveland, Ohio area, knows of someone who loves to protect the environment and who builds homes, you can contact me through your wonderful comment :)

Click on the images for more articles on Dan Phillips and his amazing houses.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...